Friday, June 22, 2012

I am in the office today, pretty much alone, which is okay because we are technically closed on Fridays.  I like to work on days like these because I have time to think, to check my twitter feed, to read some history books that are piling up in my "to read stack", and to catch up on some of the never ending paperwork and organizational tasks that I can never quite get a handle on.

One of the things I've been reading and thinking about are my evaluations that our principal gave me today.  I was somewhat apprehensive as I approached them, relatively sure that they would be positive, but concerned that the views expressed in these anonymous evaluations would be both honest and helpful.  And, as I have read them, I am both humbled and challenged.  It's pretty easy to see which comments are from staff that are both friends and colleagues and those are deeply appreciated.  My strengths, if these evaluations tell the story (and I am not sure they tell the WHOLE story but they definitely reveal an important element in the story) are in compassion, communication, and empathy.  Those are definitely important aspects of my job.  Some of the challenges that these evaluations reveal are also important. . .being more visible in the hallways for both staff AND students. . .becoming better organized in terms of tasks. . .student services. . .and a couple of more personal challenges that I shall not share here but to which I am committed to changing.   We will see if those changes are noted in next year's evaluations.  (insert smiley face)

I did a self evaluation for our principal that was eerily similar to the evaluations I received, noting some strengths and some weaknesses.  So I am thinking. . .of what to do and how to do it.  Details to follow. . .maybe next Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment